From: Tom Patterson <pattersontj@sbcglobal.net>
To: sslist@tompatterson.com
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 7:08:16 AM
Subject: Re: [SilverStreak] size of propane tanks

Al,

The recommendation by at least Sherline is not "maximum 15%", but rather "at
least 15%".  Others will set the
maximum lower, but I think that in many cases this is without a weight
distribution hitch and spring bars.
The tricycle comparison is, I believe, not applicable as it ignores too many
factors.  Fifth wheel trailers, also with a triangle setup have up to 25% of
their weight on the tow vehicle.

The problem with too much weight is what it does to the tow vehicle.  Aside
from the effect on the rear axle and suspension, both steering and braking
deteriorate with all the weight on the rear.  The remedy is in the weight
distribution  hitch and spring bars, which move some of that weight both to
the tow vehicle front axle, and to the trailer wheels.

Again, in my case, I have neither a sway problem, nor a "wallowing" problem
with approx. 800 lbs. and a 4,500 to 5,000 lb. trailer.  I do have a lot of
truck, but I also use a weight distribution hitch with spring bars to move
some of the 800 lbs forward and backward.  I have not weighed the setup
after hitching up, but know that I have a lot less than 15% - perhaps 12% of
the tongue weight on the hitch with the use of spring bars.

-Tom