The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] no "need for levelers or sway bars"

Al,
Yep, more overhang, but it was the draft. Argosy had no load-sink from the
heavy 32 Silver Streak. With the 454-400 combination there was front weight,
power to spare and great fuel economy. You just cannot control the in and
out of a draft-spoiled environment with every passing truck. Uncontrollably
horrible doesn't describe it. The effect was non-existent with the 1 ton
diesel dually crew, lighter but a totally different wind profile.

You'd need a dead day and a tolerant scale operator to do all that weigh
procedure at a public scale. Jason did not state his tow vehicle, but your
descriptions suffice for him to know to visually make that profile proper
with load tension levelers. Hopefully his tow vehicle can be fitted with a
receiver hitch because none of that is going to work with a bumper ball. I
should have given him the pointer to use a floor jack under the hitched
trailer to over-lift when adjusting the attachment of the load levelers
instead of fighting it, or just blocks and the trailer jack to do the
connect. I am worried about his description of initial profile when he
connected it. I really suspect he needs the levelers and the anti-sway bar.
I really like the sway bar, the control adjuster range that could be set.
That single sway bar made a nightmare disappear. Experience will help him
quickly learn the amount of friction to apply to the adjustment.

Your reminders of slick road slow down is absolute and the best reminders
for him and all of us. Nothing overcomes going to fast in any road condition
especially when the unexpected happens. We just have to remember that speed
doesn't kill, impact does!

I still liked my description of bringing home that sand, cement, roofing
shingles, or whatever that we would all like to load on the rear for easy
unloading at home. That experience which most people have had should remind
them of how a vehicle cannot tolerate an OK carrying capacity that is
improperly loaded. So he can tow the trailer with no problems if he just
gives the tow vehicle the helper tool that is needed and not somehow
considered an option. Jason sounds like a fun person and I sure want him to
enjoy his trailer and hope to see him at a rally!

I related to the tri-cycle. I missed Big Wheel era and wish I hadn't because
they sure look fun! Never did get a giant big wheel like Gallagher, but
thought about it! Just the kid in me!
-Eddie-
Houston, TX