The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Silver Streak information...

Certainly when my Supreme Saturn, SST-FRT-79-0597, was made in '79 the gold
trim, gold front window shield, gold curved window covers, gold lower side
strip w/black plastic insert, and die cast hinges were in use all together.
My Spartanette has center bath and I really like it. For a pic of a new one
go to: www.spartantrailer.com/ click "TRAILERS" click (1953) "Imperial Spartanette."
Mine is a '52 but looks the same. Wish mine was in such a condition.
Al

-- "Eddie" <Eddie@Huffstetter.com> wrote:

Tom,
Thanks for the picture link. I was the only one who did reply to Danny's question
with my experience. My experience is limited to my long quest in finally purchasing
my SS. What I found was what you show, which is a very fine trailer, but without
the gold trim. That lack of trim I found as common as those with the trim, but
mostly in the earlier years. More than one seller told me it was an expensive
option for the period that later became standard. Too bad you cannot ask Mr. Ashby.
I also found SS trailers with the gold trim, but not gold travel shields. I also
found front travel shields in gold but not gold on the corners. Like you have always
said, these are hand made trailers and usually something is different on every trailer.
There are even less trailers with center bath, a very rare and expensive option.

I keep hoping you will take on a massive task of a registry for SS and Str trailers l
ike your Str motor homes. Your SS Brief History answers exactly, when the gold trim
ceased. I referenced that for the list. There has been much talk of a registry here,
but the only works done are yours and your list. People are hungry for any information.
See how we all flock to your site. There is nothing other. It is unfair for us all to
keep pushing you for more, but where else is any central info location we can go?

If we are ever going to know when the gold started, when the pot metal
hinges began and ended, I see no other way than a photo, year, and vin
number registry which might chronicle these hand made trailers. Even then the information
might be illusive, but it beats all this guessing and confusion, such as the hinge on
Scott's trailer. We don't even know when the pot metal hinge was discontinued. I cannot
tell from the few photo's of the Sterling series. Maybe that hinge never ended.

There is an absolute confusion about the hinge. Scott sent a good picture of his and I
sent a at night poor picture of mine. Scott is a professional and immediately determined
the hinge had a much larger trailer to body mount and door mounting due to the extra
weight of the door-in-door stresses. He instantly determined the need for more substantial
hinge. He wants to design draw the hinge. Mine are probably too far gone for use. We
learned from Ralph his trailer had the holes underneath his hinges for the old style
hinge so obviously SS was learning and now we are wasting time relearning what SS
already had learned the hard way. The two pictures might help people. I can forward
to you.

The only thing that could be worse is to not have your site, a central
location and information source, an we each as individuals had to learn one trailer at
a time.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX