The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Silver Streak information...

Tom,
Thanks for the picture link. I was the only one who did reply to Danny's
question with my experience. My experience is limited to my long quest in
finally purchasing my SS. What I found was what you show, which is a very
fine trailer, but without the gold trim. That lack of trim I found as common
as those with the trim, but mostly in the earlier years. More than one
seller told me it was an expensive option for the period that later became
standard. Too bad you cannot ask Mr. Ashby. I also found SS trailers with
the gold trim, but not gold travel shields. I also found front travel
shields in gold but not gold on the corners. Like you have always said,
these are hand made trailers and usually something is different on every
trailer. There are even less trailers with center bath, a very rare and
expensive option.

I keep hoping you will take on a massive task of a registry for SS and Str
trailers like your Str motor homes. Your SS Brief History answers exactly,
when the gold trim ceased. I referenced that for the list. There has been
much talk of a registry here, but the only works done are yours and your
list. People are hungry for any information. See how we all flock to your
site. There is nothing other. It is unfair for us all to keep pushing you
for more, but where else is any central info location we can go?

If we are ever going to know when the gold started, when the pot metal
hinges began and ended, I see no other way than a photo, year, and vin
number registry which might chronicle these hand made trailers. Even then
the information might be illusive, but it beats all this guessing and
confusion, such as the hinge on Scott's trailer. We don't even know when the
pot metal hinge was discontinued. I cannot tell from the few photo's of the
Sterling series. Maybe that hinge never ended.

There is an absolute confusion about the hinge. Scott sent a good picture of
his and I sent a at night poor picture of mine. Scott is a professional and
immediately determined the hinge had a much larger trailer to body mount and
door mounting due to the extra weight of the door-in-door stresses. He
instantly determined the need for more substantial hinge. He wants to design
draw the hinge. Mine are probably too far gone for use. We learned from
Ralph his trailer had the holes underneath his hinges for the old style
hinge so obviously SS was learning and now we are wasting time relearning
what SS already had learned the hard way. The two pictures might help
people. I can forward to you.

The only thing that could be worse is to not have your site, a central
location and information source, an we each as individuals had to learn one
trailer at a time.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX