The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Silverstreak Fifth wheel in CA, and

"The only mystery there is how in the world AS is the only survivor of all the
orphans which in my opinion are all superior."

The simple answer is that Wally Byam was a marketing genius, and pretty smart
about trailers, too. The favorable points, the serious stuff, is:

-lighter weight/lower overhead clearance/narrower

-fully independent suspension (about 5" travel versus our 3"); FAR more
resistant to bad, roads, hazards, etc.

-the move to disc brakes

-double pane windows, etc.

-Huge numbers sold and big base of spares and new parts, even if A/S
disappears tomorrow.

Most of all, the iconic look.

The bad points are usually the problems that age reveals: framework that
doesn't stand up; corrosion threats to the monocoque construction, interior
materials deterioration, tail sag/separation, and, literally, problems grouped
by decade that are all serious for the non-handyman owner. The irritating
stuff is just in trying to service ordinary items that are flat hard to
access.

And, no, almost no one is willing to pay $100,000 for a travel trailer, and
the current Airstream owner, Thor, is cutting corners and keeping prices high.
It's only a prestige brand in their likely view. (Read the stories about
when, having taken over, they tried to cut costs by eliminating hundreds of
rivets and how that backfired (beware of circa 1993 Airstreams). Or the
latest, "filiform corrosion".

I like them, might like to have one. B But the premum is too high, and you see
yourself going down the road every other day. I'd rather have a few more
headaches in service/repairs at this point.

But I sure wish that we, like Avion, had gone to independent suspension. Or
had the option of metal cabinetry for light weight, like Streamline. Or
double-pane windows.

Triple axle on this '34 would be nice, as would disc brakes. Etc.