The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Re: Silver Streak Digest V1 #581

Hi Dave and Sherylyn

If your black water tank is like my old one (71 SS), then you have a
Thetford fitting. They probably sold you a Valterra fitting which is a
different size. Here is a link where they made an adapter plate. This may
not exactly look like what you have, but the solution is the same.

http://www.vintageairstream.com/FAQ/rr_topics_dumpvalve.html

Thetford use to make a rebuild kit for the dump valve gate, with a new
stainless side, gaskets and bushings. You may find one at old RV shops.
Inland RV has some new plastic replacements that may fit your size.

One of the problems I had with the old Thetford tank was that the gate was
attached to the tank with self tapping screws that did not allow for
attaching a nut. I had to fill the holes with new plastic and re-tap them
each time I removed the gate.

After a few years I finally gave up and replaced my black water tank with
only Valterra fittings. They are much less expensive, easier to mount, and
are readily available.