The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Re: Silver Streak Digest V1 #577 Help with getting new tires

Sherylyn,

You MUST change the tires.  You will throw treads or blow them out and
damage your trailer.  As to the split rims, any truck tire dealer will
work on split rims.  I strongly recommend you replace the tires with
Load Range D or E Light Truck tires, INCLUDING the spare tire.  Look
in the yellow pages for truck tire dealers.  You don't want a dealer
associated with a truck stop, as they usually don't want to bother
with 15" rim tires, and would have to special order tires for them.
Put your spare tire on, and take the flat "split rim" tire in to show
the dealer what you need.  I don't recommend purchasing "Trailer"
tires, the light truck tires will handle higher speed better, and do
not throw treads as easily as the "Trailer" tires.

DON'T GET THE CHEAPEST TIRES.  I have 8 trailers of various kinds in
my business, + my 72 SS Continental Atlas 26' trailer, and a race car
trailer, and have found that purchasing tires in the upper middle
price range give me the best long term results, and very few thrown
treads or blown tires.  The truck tire dealer may need to order your
tires, so be sure to order tires well in advance of any planed trip.

As to changing the Split Rims, that will probably cost as much as the
new tires, but you could then get a tire repaired or replaced at any
tire shop.  Also you may be able to sell the split rims to a Silver
Streak owner who wants to maintain everything in "Original" condition.

Regards,

Ralph