The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] replacing a floor in the Silver Streak

Jason,
You might also check plywood labeled exterior/interior. I have access to a
bunch of old 4x8 sheets which I used for a project. I have left some of the
scraps in the rain and weather, flipping often to keep them in the worst
possible rain and sun. The stuff just will not be affected and perhaps is
the age, the glue, or whatever. When I do my next I will invest in expensive
marine with glue and process designed for water. I won't expend so much
labor and struggle on a guess.

Keep in mind nowadays a 2x4 isn't and maybe 5/8 and 3/4 isn't either. So
definitely 5/8 is too thin for a floor and 3/4 is better. I personally think
thicker is better. Not that many total sheets, the cost and weight
difference is worth all your efforts. I may try 1 inch on a 51 that needs
complete floor and has a car body type exterior.

As you come up with the floor, it affords exposure and a good time to
consider wiring and plumbing. On one of mine I will run plastic conduit as I
go in a 1 inch size so I can pull and add things like 12 volt brake, lights,
and house wiring to the battery etc. I will also run a second conduit to
pull and run 120 volt tongue feed for my future convenience. Just what I do
as I don't like the hanging loose wires and have a Greenlee knock out to
make perfect holes thru member centers as needed.

If you intend to service or upgrade holding tanks, sink, tub, etc plumbing,
it's a good time for that. The fridge should have LP, 12 volt, and 120 volt
service even if you don't have immediate need. It's a good time to upgrade
or add that. You can also add outlets at this time where you think you may
have a need but be sure to use some sort of bushing like a slit piece of
hose where wires run thru the ribs. Leave excess wire behind plugs. You will
be glad you did.

Don't feel like you have to remove the whole floor to add new plumbing and
wiring. You can over measure putting excess available as you go. I did. The
LP is not natural gas. You can use good quality copper for that, but use
flare fittings, not compression. There are only ounces of LP pressure from
the regulator on the lines and LP is not corrosive to copper. Again use
bushings to keep the line from chaffing any thru points.

You can add modern insulation just before re-panel by just pushing it up
into the walls. I did and you'll be glad you did. More is better.

Read this: http://tompatterson.com/Silverstreak/History.html and do caulk or
cover any weep holes. I did. The man that wrote that was the Guru of Silver
Streak and what he says applies to all trailers that had the weep holes. It
will save the perimeter floor under the rib base channel, the heart of your
trailers foundation.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX