The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Rear Hitch on trailer

Bob Scheimeister, the original owner of my SS, had a bike carrier mounted to
the bumper. It is attached by 4 bolts thru holes drilled in the bumper. When
there are bike(s)on the carrier, I strap to the trunk handle, so there is no
shaking of the bike(s) and carrier,and the weight of the bike(s) does not
tend to twist the bumper.
Mounting a hitch receiver to the rear of a "teeter-trailer" (the trailer is
balanced on its axle(s) reminiscent of a teeter-totter or see-saw) invites
hitching a second trailer to it. This is illegal in some states and dangerous
in all.
I think the idea of a hitch on the rear of a trailer is to allow towing a
lightweight fishing boat. Certainly not another heavy trailer!
Putting weight on the back of a trailer, behind the axle(s) of the trailer, i
s a major contributor to instability characteristic of straight-pull trailers.
You will notice that heavy freight trucks have the rear axle of the trailer as
far back as practical for highway haulage. Our tow vehicles just won't tolerate
the weight on the hitch that would result from having the trailer axle at the
rear of the trailer.
Al

-- "Eddie" <Eddie@Huffstetter.com> wrote:

Joe,
No, we were just fighting the weight and wiggle of the spare that fractures the
bumper. My spare is also in the trunk. No need to worry or move it.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX