From: "waymark1@juno.com"
<waymark1@juno.com>
To: sslist@tompatterson.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008
2:27:19 PM
Subject: Re: [SilverStreak] Rear Hitch on trailer

Bob
Scheimeister, the original owner of my SS, had a bike carrier mounted to the
bumper. It is attached by 4 bolts thru holes drilled in the bumper. When there
are bike(s)on the carrier, I strap to the trunk handle, so there is no shaking
of the bike(s) and carrier,and the weight of the bike(s) does not tend to
twist the bumper.
Mounting a hitch receiver to the rear of a "teeter-trailer"
(the trailer is balanced on its axle(s) reminiscent of a teeter-totter or
see-saw) invites hitching a second trailer to it. This is illegal in some
states and dangerous in all.
I think the idea of a hitch on the rear of a
trailer is to allow towing a lightweight fishing boat. Certainly not another
heavy trailer!
Putting weight on the back of a trailer, behind the axle(s) of
the trailer, is a major contributor to instability characteristic of
straight-pull trailers. You will notice that heavy freight trucks have the
rear axle of the trailer as far back as practical for highway haulage. Our tow
vehicles just won't tolerate the weight on the hitch that would result from
having the trailer axle at the rear of the trailer.
Al

-- "Eddie"
<Eddie@Huffstetter.com> wrote:

Joe,
No, we were just fighting the weight and
wiggle of the spare that fractures the bumper. My spare is also in the trunk.
No need to worry or move it.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX