The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Newbie electrical ground question

Thought I'd follow up.  Turns out whoever wired the connection from the trailer to the auto 6-
way plug either had way too little information or way too much to drink!  Using a wiring
diagram found on the web for the 6-prong connector, my trusty cheapo multi-meter, a 30 foot
spool of wire, and the wiring I found under a screw-on cover at the front of the trailer, I was
able to trace each or group of wires somewhere (except the 12V and the brakes ... but I
figured them out too), by checking toninuity using my meter.  What I learned is that someone
had done their best to match colors of wires, but then didn't necessarily connect them to the
correct post on the 6-way connector.  As a result, I found things like a wire running from the
Right Turn signal of the trailer to the Ground Post on the connector, and other similar
wierdness.  No wonder it acted like a bad ground!  A hot wire was connected to the ground!!
I managed to get all the wires figured out and connected to the right posts on the connector.

I also managed to check the connections by buying a couple 6 volt batteries in a battery store
(relatively small sized) and connecting them together from negative to positive to create a
small 12V battery.  Then I could use that power source to double-check each connection by
shoving a wire from negative into ground on the 6-prong connector and a wire from positive
into whatever I was testing on the 6-prong connector. I confirmed the brakes by hearing
them.  AND I had been able to tell the yellow wires on the trailer was the 12V connection,
since there were a bunch of them, and they had several screw down points.

Finally, I connected the connector 6-prong connector from the trailer to the car and double-
checked all the lights by working them on the car (e.g. turn signals, running lights, brakes,
etc.).  There was one last problem which was the tail lights were very bright, but the turn
signals were not.  I had to go back to the tail lights and reverse the leads.

We are happy campers!!!  We now have working lights on our new-to-us '64 SS.  Next, I'll
start testing the rest of the trailer one system at a time.

Bev