The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Newbie battery question

Sorry, I didn't come up with this idea on my own. I originally got it from my
basic electricity and basic electronics teacher at Maplewood High school in
Nashville, Tn. He was a retired radio and electric power engineer (not a
lifetime schoolteacher). I'd provide his name but that was over 40 years ago
and I don't recall it; he was rather elderly then. I do remember that he
drove a Jag XKE.

It is true that there are specialized lubricants for moving electrical
contacts.

The heat conductive grease used on CPU and other semiconductor to heat sink
mating surfaces is not applied a lubricant but as a contact improvement and
corrosion protectant. If aluminum powder is used, it is certainly not intended
as a lubricant - when aluminum powder oxidizes it becomes corundum, the same
stuff as is used on Alox (aluminum oxide) abrasive sheets and grinding wheels.
The aluminum provides most of the heat conduction and the grease provides
sealing against oxygen to prevent corrosion of the (usually) aluminum heat sinks,
semiconductor cases, and the aluminum powder in the grease.
Other thermal greases or pastes are nonconductive of electrical current while
highly conductive of heat. Zinc oxide is one ingredient that conducts heat but
not electricity.

That (most) greases are hydrocarbons does not mean they are conductive. The
plastic insulation used on most wiring is composed of hydrocarbon and it is
decidedly nonconductive. Pure carbon and graphite (carbon allotrope) are fair
conductors and are commonly used as dynamic contacts. Many motor and generator
brushes, distributor rotor contacts, etc., are made of carbon-graphite mixed
with other materials.

The heavily loaded contact between the trailer coupler and the hitch ball would
seem to provide an excellent ground connection; however, experience is that it is
a poor and intermittent connection. Why? The grease or oil that is on the surfaces
of the coupler and ball is an insulator (dielectric). Failure to have a wire ground
between the trailer and tow vehicle causes "fluting" - pitting of the surfaces
from arcing as the contact makes and breaks. Going without grease or oil causes
galling - microscopic pressure welding or seizing - of the surfaces. Rust also
appears rapidly. Rust is an excellent fine abrasive. Special grades are called
"jeweler's rouge." So a lubricant is necessary to reduce mechanical wear, but will
cause electrically induced wear due to arcing through the insulative grease film
between the parts. And, of course, flickering markers and taillights.

Common bearing and chassis grease is not designed to be used for electrical contact
protection. Special greases are used by automotive and equipment contacts to improve
contact by preventing corrosion. An example is the grease you find when unplugging
automotive computer and electronic equipment connectors. Commonly instructions will
be found to the effect that you are warned not to wipe the grease off the contacts
(unless, of course, you have a tube or can of the special contact grease to provide
a replacement coating). The grease that comes in the bulb sockets should not be wiped
off or out either, particularly not to be regreased with common bearing and chassis
grease. There is usually enough grease in the sockets (since manufacturers began
greasing the sockets) for bulb replacements for the life of the vehicle.
One specialized paste is sold for spark plug terminals, distributor rotor contacts
and tips, distributor cap posts and tips, distributor cap towers, etc.

"Dielectric" means "insulating."

Battery terminals and clamps are a particular problem area for grease between the
mating surfaces because they have a relatively large contact area and low contact
pressure per area. Chassis grounds do not present such a potential of high resistance
from grease contamination as they usually are provided with toothed washers that will
bite through any grease and dig into the chassis metal for a good contact.

I have personally experienced smoking battery clamps caused by ordinary lubricating
grease raising the resistance of the connection. Thoroughly removing all grease,
wirebrushing the post and clamp inner surface, and reconnecting fixed the problem.
A coating of grease over the connection, worked into the recesses and then the excess
wiped off, protects from future corrosion.

Aluminum wire, used on some RVs years ago (I hope no longer), is a special case. The
oxide of aluminum is a total insulator, unlike the oxide of copper, which is a fiar
conductor. Aluminum wire connections require a special corrosion inhibitor paste. The
device connection screw clamps bite into the wire so that no paste is in between the
wire and the clamp screw. (Certain devices specify that no paste be used on their
connections.)

Acid corrosion of battery posts and clamps is due to damaged seals around the bases
of the posts (like from beating on the posts, picking the battery up by the posts) or
overcharging of the battery. Ideally, no acid ever exits the battery. Protective coating
of the terminals is in recognition that in vehicular applications "ideal" does not
happen, not for long. Also, corrosive mists blow all over the vehicle from road spray,
ocean salt air, air pollution, etc. This is bad enough over the entire vehicle. Add
electricity and it is worse.

Petroleum greases soften, crack and can even dissolve "rubber" radiator and heater hoses.
Only a grease approved for vulcanized latex rubber, such as castor (old fashioned
vegetable grease), silicone or PAO grease made for internal brake cylinder lubrication,
may be used on such parts. Grease sold for use INSIDE brake cylinders (on parts that
contact brake fluid), NOT "caliper slider" or brake pad backing plate grease, is such
a grease.

An example of the recognition of the problem of grease insulation of static (nonmoving,
like a clamp on a battery post) electric contacts:

"ANTI-CORROSIVE BATTERY TERMINAL

"BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION Technical Field This invention relates, in general, to
corrosion protective covers for battery posts and, more particularly, to covers utilizing
grease as an anti-corrosive medium.

"The driving public is well aware of the continuing problems with battery post corrosion
and the resultant electrical power loss because of wire erosion and poor contact points.
Another common problem, experienced by operators of large trucks and commercial vehicles,
is the lack of post contacts on a battery for connection to other batteries, auxiliary
equipment, etc.

"One of the earlier efforts at providing a protective cover was the invention of J. A.
Johnson, U.S. Patent No. 1,686,817, consisting of two complemental parts which were
filled with grease and then clamped [NOTE -->] together about a battery post. A problem
inherent with the Johnson device was the problem of obtaining good electrical contact
because of the grease in that the grease had to be applied before clamping.

"A device that is still widely used and quite effective is the fibrous washer of F.G.
Dewey, U.S. Patent No. 1,671,016, which is impregnated with acid resisting grease and
which surrounds the base of the battery post. The Dewey device fails to protect the entire
post.
[These are those red and green washers sold by automotive and marine battery dealers.]

"A later device which does cover the post is that of H. D. Weaver, U.S. [NOTE -->]
Patent No. 2,269,296. The Weaver device suffers from the same problem as Johnson in that
the post receiving socket must be coated with grease before placement, with resultant poor
contact area. Weaver utilizes a tapered screw to make electrical contact after the grease
placement.

"Other relevant inventions are those of W. T. Hasting, U.S. Patent No. 1,541,495; J. K.
Schaefer , U.S. Patent No. 2,119,294; W. M. Osborn, U.S. Patent No. 3,152,854; and A. P.
Bailey, U.S. Patent No. 3,795,891.

[NOTE -->] "None of the inventions solve the problem of utilizing a corrosion resistant
grease to protect the entire surface of the battery post and still provide grease free
electrical contacts.

"DISCLOSURE OF THE INVENTION The present invention comprises an anti- corrosive battery
terminal including a terminal block with battery post [NOTE -->] receiving socket and
provided with a grease fitting for injection of grease within the socket after the block
is clamped to the battery post by screw clamps. It is therefore a primary object of the
present invention to provide an anti-corrosive battery terminal which includes a terminal
block with post receiving socket which may be filled with grease after clamping contacts
are made with the post. More particularly it is an object of the present invention to
provide an [NOTE -->] anti-corrosive battery terminal which includes a terminal block
with socket and with screw clamps for making secure "dry" contact with the battery post
before the addition of grease to the enveloping socket.

"Even more particularly, it is an object of the present invention to provide an
anti-corrosive battery terminal which includes a terminal [NOTE -->] block with a grease
fitting for injection of grease into a post receiving socket after electrical contacts
are made to the post.

"Another object of the present invention is to provide an anti- corrosive battery terminal
which includes a plurality of terminal contact posts.

"It is an additional object of the present invention to provide an anti-corrosive battery
terminal having contact posts which make direct contact with the battery post.

"Additional objects and advantages will become apparent and a more thorough and
comprehensive under- standing may be had from the following description taken in
conjunction with the accompanying drawings forming a part of this specification.

"BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWINGS FIG. 1 is a perspective view of a battery terminal
made according to the present invention, shown mounted to a battery post; the post and
socket being shown in outline.

"FIG. 2 is a sectional view taken along line 2-2 of FIG. 1.

"FIG. 3 is a plan view of the terminal of FIG. 1.

"FIG. 4 is a sectional view of the grease fitting, with check valve, of the present invention.

"BEST MODE FOR CARRYING OUT THE INVENTION Referring now to the drawings, and, more
particularly, to FIGS. 1, 2, and 3, an embodiment to be preferred of an anti-corrosive
battery terminal 10, made according to the present invention, is disclosed. Battery
terminal 10 is in the form of a terminal block 20 defining a battery receiving socket 30,
a grease fitting 40, and clamp means 50.

"Terminal block 20 may be constructed of any suitable material, either electricity
conducting or insulative. It is preferred however, that the block be made of conductive
material for conduction of electricity to terminal contact posts 55, as will hereinafter
be explained. Copper and bronze are preferred metals for construction of the block and
doped plastics, also called conducting polymers, such as polyacetylene doped with iodine,
may also be highly desirable because of its high electrical conductivity as well as its
ability to be molded. The block is preferably in the form of of a cube, having outer
surfaces including the top 21 and the four sides, designated generally by the numeral 22,
and having an undersurface 23 on the opposing side from the top. Formed, by machining or
otherwise, on the bottom surface 23 is a battery post receiving socket 30 which is
slightly larger in all dimensions than the battery post 5 of battery 3. Also formed
within block 20 is a threaded con!
 duit 27, extending between socket 30 and the outer surface of the block. In the preferred
embodiment conduit 27 extends between the socket and top surface 21 for the placement of
grease fitting 40.

"Grease fitting 40, one type of which is shown in FIG. 4, is provided with threads mateable
with the threads of conduit 27 so that the fitting may be simply screwed into the conduit.
Fitting 40, also known as a grease 'zerk,' includes a check valve, designated generally
by the numeral 45, forming an effective seal, and also includes a post 44, rising vertically
from block 20, for convenient engagement by a grease gun, not shown. While fitting 40 may be
located anywhere on the block, for ready access it is mounted through top 21 of the block.,.

"Also mounted on block 20 are a selected number of terminal contact posts 55 for the
attachment of electrical wires leading to the starter, other batteries, auxiliary units,
etc. Contact posts 55 are constructed of any suitable material and are preferably in the
form of steel machine bolts which are screwed into threaded apertures 57 in the block. Where
block 20 is constructed of electricity conducting material, electrical contact between posts
55 and block 20 may be sufficient, although it is always preferred that posts 55 make contact
with the battery post 5. Where block 20 is constructed of electricity insulative material,
contact between posts 55 and battery posts 5 must be made. It is obvious that one or more
contact posts 55 may also serve as clamp means 50 for attachment of block 20 to the battery
post.

"For installation of terminal block 20 onto battery post 5, the battery post should be clean
and free of oxides and other forms of corrosion and the interior surface of socket 30 of
block 20 should also be free of grease or other contaminants. The block is simply placed
over post 5 with socket 30 surrounding the post about the sides and top. If desired, though
unnecessary, a porous fabric washer 9, well known in the art, may be placed around the base
of battery post 5. Clamping means 50, in the form of contact post bolts 55, are then screwed
into threaded apertures 57 until the flattened, blunt end of the bolt securely engages the
battery post to obtain maximum electrical contact surface. While a single bolt may serve to
clamp the block in place to the battery post, it is recommended that at least one other bolt
55 make contact with the post, and, as before stated, contact is necessary where block 20
is constructed of insulative material. Once bolts 55 are in place, corrosio!
 n preventive grease, or the like, is injected through grease fitting 40 into socket 30 to
completely fill the socket. Excess grease exiting the base of the socket at the undersurface
23 of block 20 may simply be wiped away. If porous washer 9 is in place, air readily flows
through the washer to prevent any air bubbles within the socket, and the washer soon becomes
saturated with grease to form an airtight seal. It is to be particularly noted and is an
important part of the invention that all contacts between terminal contact posts 55 or
clamping means 50 and battery post 5 are made before the addition of any grease so that the
grease, which is electrically insulative, can in no way impair the contacts. It is also to
be noted that electrical contact can be made over a large surface area between the blunt end
of bolts 55 and the battery post. Having thus described in detail a preferred embodiment of
the present invention, it is to be appreciated and will be apparent to those !
 skilled in the art that many physical changes could be made in!
  the app
aratus without altering the inventive concepts and principles embodied therein. The present
embodiment is therefore to be considered in all respects as illustrative and not restrictive,
the scope of the invention being indicated by the appended claims rather than by the
foregoing description, and all changes which come within the meaning and range of
equivalency of the claims are therefore to be embraced therein."
[REFERENCE:] http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA=US1989001594&DISPLAY=DESC

-- thetansedan@aol.com wrote:

The NO-ALOX I have been using for 20-years is available at Home Depot and is specified for
aluminum-to-aluminum connections (and some others). B I use it on cars, etc. B I apply it
to the terminals AFTER brushing them with a tool for same (fresh bright metal) but BEFORE
the connection is made. B I wipe off the excess. B I rarely have to re-do it, even after
years of use. B I have not used grease to cover the connections for years because I get
tired of getting it on my wrists or sleeves when working around batteries. B This has worked
well for me.

I also use MIL-SPEC terminations and cabling as big as I can fit. B I usually have someone
make it for me once I have decided to overhaul the system. B WEST MARINE is a good source for
ANCOR brand, much superior to auto parts stores.

I much appreciate Eddies comments, I wholly agree with the knowledge we are obligated to give
to others. B Mine, above, is just what I do.