The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Newbie battery question

Bev,
Don't get hung up on a battery with screw-bolt posts. Any regular car
battery will do. Just go to the automotive rack and there you will find
inexpensive post terminal lugs that fit on a car battery regular post and
have the bolts on them with the wing nuts. You do need to make sure that any
paint inside the post lug is completely removed and shiny. The battery posts
need to also be shiny. Grease the battery posts and the lugs when sliding
them on. The grease keeps them from ever corroding. Use surgical gloves as
all is messy. Use any kind of grease including Vaseline and put liberally.
When connecting your trailer to the post lugs, use grease liberally on the
bolts and the wire lugs. Again this stops the deterioration for a
maintenance free installation.

Wal-Mart and all places sell regular post and side post batteries. All also
sell DT batteries. The DT stands for Dual Terminal. DT batteries cost
nothing more and give you extra connection places, now having top and side
connectors. You will find that handy and useful, so get a DT. On side
terminal connection batteries, you can find the little bolts that fit the
sides in the same selection area on a blister-pak card. They can make
connecting really simply and handy. If you need the large wire lugs for the
5/16 and 3/8 inch sized bolt lugs, they are also on a card on a rack. You
can use pliers and a hammer to crimp them closed if you don't have a crimp
block tool. Again, use grease on everything at and connecting to the
battery, or the natural gases emitting from the battery will ruin
everything.

Even the small Wal-Mart you describe usually has a automotive area in the
store where you buy bulbs, mats, etc. There you will usually find a rack
with batteries for cars, golf carts, garden tractors, etc. They will have a
big yellow battery. It will cost about $70, plus disposal fees and taxes.
Add $10 for absence of a core, and they will tax that absence also. Is a
rip!

Get a old dead battery from a neighbor or friend if you don't have one and
avoid that high core charge.

-Eddie-
Houston, TX