The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Hinges for Silver Streak

Eddie,  and all others who are in need of a set of Silver Streak
Hinges to replace the "Pot" metal hinges that are standard on 197????
Through ???? Silver Streaks.

I will have a set of new Stainless Steel Hinges for my 26' Silver
Streak about 4-28-08.  A small specialty fabrication shop, that makes
up some special Stainless Steel Race Car parts for me, has agreed to
make me up a set of SS hinges as a personal favor.  The basis of the
hinge is a Stainless Steel Piano Hinge with a 1/4" pin, that is then
fabricated into a hinge assembly that duplicates the exact function of
the stock SS hinge, (Plug Door etc).  All of the holes for the rivets
will be identical to the original NEW set of SS hinges we are using
for a pattern.  I will take pictures of the Stainless Steel hinges and
have them available to email to anyone who is interested.(I can't post
them on this email list).

IF THE HINGES ARE SATISFACTORY FOR MY USE AND ALLOW PROPER OPERATION
OF THE PLUG DOOR, I will be willing to take orders for others, and
have them made up, as the owner of the shop advised me he would be
willing to make more sets up for me if I want them.  The Stainless
Steel fabrication shop is a small one and does small projects by hand.
At this point I have no estimate of the cost of the hinges, but will
post the information as soon as I get my cost.

If the new Stainless Steel hinges are satisfactory, they should last
for decades, putting an end to the "Broken Hinge" problem with Silver
Streaks.  New Silver Streak hinges are no longer available at any
price (I paid $450.00 + freight on eBay for what was probably the last
set of new SS hinges in existence, from the son of the guy in Texas
that bought out the SS inventory many years ago).  I hated to put the
new pot metal hinges on, knowing that when they finely wore out, I
would be out of luck, and have no good "Original Equipment" pattern.

Anyone interested, email me at.

	rcooke@bak.rr.com

Best regards to all of my fellow Silver Streakers.

Ralph Cooke