The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Flipped axels (again)

Curt,
Did the axles have centering pins and use U bolt pads? If used pads did you
have to cut off and re-weld? If these were the solid bar drop axles then no
pads or pins? I have a 49 Spartan set and Tom's 57 Streamline set, both
solid bar drop axles with no pins or pads so I have good stock to see. Were
the U bolt pads flat and if so then they have the shock mount hole? If had
the shock mount could you just move to the top of the spring from under? If
stamped and not flat, did you have to reverse sides due to the shock
mounting? When moved to top of the spring you said created need for shorter
shocks? Shorter shocks mean shorter travel. Would the shorter travel have
any concern? Did you just measure the difference in the axle and spring to
get the lesser shock length? The end result is the U bolts now point up
instead of down. I like that. Is that what you did? A picture would be
great, but that would require a wheel-off view. Did you happen to take
before and after pictures? Not being technical, just wanting to know the
visual on the new assembly. Thank you.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX