The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Excessive weight on rear of trailer

My 31' SS came with the spare tire & wheel, tools, spare parts, speeder
wrench for the stabilizers, wheel chocks, awning center brace, tire shades
and a great big heavy Fulton manual trailer moving-around dolly in the trunk.
What is more important than how much weight is in the rear is what portion of
the total loaded trailer weight is supported by the hitch ball (10%-15%).
The discussion of spare tires mounted on the bumper is the strength of the
bumper (mine is aluminum - merely a trim piece, not a serious bumper). The
bumper mounting extensions of the frame should be plenty strong, for the rear
skids or casters are welded to their undersides.
Al

-- joepatwink@netscape.net wrote:

I see that some wrote that they have taken their spare off of the back bumper
on trailers, would it be wise to remove the spare from the back trunk of a Silver
Streak? We have a 1969 Sabre with the two foot deep trunk that holds the hitch,
?equalizer ?bars, spare tire, wood blocks for leveling, and a few other misc.
parts. The heavy hitch and equalizer bars go on the front of the trailer when
you hook up, the only heavy object left back there is the spare tire. Do you
think I should move it? The frame is extended so the trunk has a angle iron frame
under, but it still adds weight behind the rear axle.
? Joe