The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Door hinges

Curtis,
I was active and still may be in the home making of the hinges with SS and
Aluminum. I have viable ideas and plans to make. All is dramatically change
now with a new welding rod I am going to purchase. The rod is a simple
stick. It melts with the heat of even a hand held propane torch. I do not
know the cost yet. It will use like solder, so if you can solder, you can do
this. The rod is locally available in Houston. If you want a link to the
site and video let me know.

I have personally seen a video of the rod in use. I have seen it weld on and
form new bolt eyelet ears on cast aluminum water pumps and transmissions. I
have seen it used to fill a stripped out hole in cast and solid aluminum
engine parts. It will fill cracks up to 1/4" in tanks, cylinder heads,
engine blocks, transmission cases. It will fill a 1/2" hole punched in the
bottom of a coke can. The aluminum does not have to be "burnt" clean of oils
in the porosity. The weld is stronger than the base, and in fact will not
beat out of the bottom of the coke can, will break off a whole piece of the
transmission instead of the  newly formed ear breaking off. It is an amazing
new rod, that melts at 500 degrees less than the aluminum. This is truly
amazing. It is new.

If this rod will weld the pot metal depending upon how much actual aluminum
is in our hinges, then we can take a piece of 1/4" id aluminum pipe, weld it
on the 90 degree hinge riser and on the end of the hinges receiver plate,
and notch out to inter fit and replace our existing broken ear loops.
Regardless, I will use brass for hinge pins and a black molly grease with
regular maintenance.

Even if we want to match cut flat 1/4 plate aluminum, break bend exact shape
and fit, then use the aluminum pipe notch fit, this rod affords a viable way
any of us can weld the pipe into position and thus make a hinge. The
aluminum plate stock should not be very expensive. Cutting and bending it
should not be overly hard using heat to break bend and avoid fracture. The
problem was the welding which this rod will not provide a way to avoid
expensive weld shop and a lot of polishing and buffing.

I would pay $100 per hinge to avoid all this. I need at least six hinges, or
three sets. Those are my thoughts.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX