The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Axle for 1971 ss. Help!!

I really don't recommend cutting an axle.  Axles are made with a
certain "bow" in them to allow the axle to be flat when fully loaded.
Cutting the axle would defeat the design parameters.  Also many axles
are difficult to wield back up in such a manor as to insure safety
over the long term.

My suggestion is to have him check with the UTILITY trailer and FARM
trailer manufacturers, and farm trailer repair parts dealers in his
area.  Trailer axles are made to many width's, drops, and loads, for
Utility and Farm trailers.

Regards,

Ralph

Subject: Re: [SilverStreak] Axle for 1971 ss. Help!!

Jim, thanks for the offer but He doesn't think it will fit.

He has now decided if they will not cut it He will buy it and bring it
home, cut it and go back and put it on. That will be a five hour drive
one way, but he may not have another choice.  He is in a place called
Boutee Louisiana, so if anyone knows of a place that he could go to
cut it  closer to that area, please let me know.
-------------- Original message from MSC06USNret@aol.com: