The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Axle for 1971 ss. Help!!

I have the rear axle off of my 1958 Silver Streak clipper available if it
will do you any good.  jim

In a message dated 1/23/2008 8:17:00 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
dngreenlee@yahoo.com writes:

---  pilkington@bellsouth.net wrote:

> Thanks,  we have contacted a  auto parts place, and
> tried a trailer place in Baton Rouge, but have  not
> found the right axle, According to my husband he can
> find  a flat axle and that will drop the trailer to
> low...??? So he his  stuck there until he finds a way
> to get her home.

The axle rise on my '71 28 ft is about 3 or 4
inches. If  it's anything like mine, installing a
straight axle will raise the ride  height for that
axle.
You might try this for a get you home fix.
Mount the straight axle and flip and/or change the
other axle's spring  shackles to get it to the same
ride height as the straight axle. Deal with  the rest
of it when you get home.
DanG,
Old trucks,
Old trailers,