The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Pex Job and Propane Lights

Mitch,

I don't know the answers to most of your questions, but I've just started
working on my water lines after trying to collect lots of info.  I thought I was
going to do crimp Pex.  Mostly because I thought that was the only way.
However, the standard tools are HUGE, and inside my trailer, everywhere I
need to make a connection is in a pretty small space.  I bought a small
crimp tool that works with a vise grip -- but I think even that will be difficult in
the spaces.

As I wrote earlier today, I decided to go with the Watts Quick Connect.  I
hooked up a little test just to make sure when I started fitting things together
for real, I'd know whether I was capable of pushing the parts together, and
2) I'd know what a good fit felt like.

I'm pleased.  The pieces go together quite easily.  I used plumbers sand
paper to sand the paint off the existing copper pipe where the connection
was to be made.  The pieces go together easily and can be removed and
reused.  Thus if I use a part to test (like a cap), I can just remove it once I
know the line holds pressures, and continue working.  No special tools
except for cutting the pex and cutting the copper.

The Watts line of quick connectors advertises that you can rotate the fitting
even with a line under pressure attached, and I found that to be true.  They
also say they won't come loose due to vibration.  I hope that's true as well.  I
found the parts at my local Ace.  Lowes seems to carry them too, but I'm not
sure how much variety they carry.

Bev