The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Interrior/Exterior Finish

Mitch,
Congrats on your successful trip and now your back in Kansas!

Your right, you cannot polish anodized aluminum but it sure can be cleaned
up. The only sensitive finish is the gold anodized trim, so care with that
but the rest can tolerate just about anything. Once cleaned, Ken Wilson uses
a product that really makes the aluminum look great as I have seen it. Good
job for the kids while you sit and supervise. Try everything from kitchen
cleaners to car wax for the scuffs etc. Go with mild soaps like Dawn, Ajax,
Dove, Palmolive on the Gold. Always wash bottom-up to avoid the typical
run-wash-streaks with lot's of rinsing in the Kansas heat. Then when waxing
with something like Kit liquid, it will help to do very small areas and take
the wax off while wet to avoid harder work. Then buff the haze.

Use no harsh chemicals on the plastic corner windows, and nothing ammonia
based on the plastic windows. Fantastic and 409 have ammonia as does Windex.
Ammonia turns plastic yellow. Plastic windows respond well to wax,
especially if take it off while still wet.

I saw your pix and the chrome wheels look like the very rare originals. Use
0000 steel wool as necessary and liquid Kit wax to clean up the chrome and
then polish and shine with the wax twice yearly. Use Mop-N-Glow on the
rubber tires to shine and stop UV, then cover them with anything to stop the
UV. I learned about the M-N-G from a Yokohama tire rep. Armorall hurts the
rubber. MNG does not and dries to hard shell shine. I use it. It works. More
you coat the shinier. Keep it off aluminum as it is only removable by
ammonia base soaps and ammonia dulls high polished aluminum and paint.
Ammonia will not hurt the non-Gold anodized skin and removes the grease in
the pores.

Try Goof Off, WD 40, Lacquer Thinner, MEK, like that for the sticky stuff.
Keep off plastics with the harsher stuff as will instantly cloud the
plastics.

You better get the kids to build that new barn you always wanted. The put
the Streak in that.
-Eddie- Houston, TX