The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] now worried about my new fridge!

LaDona,
Hey, I am not an alarmist so don't take it that way, really. How long has it
been going? If is a long time, then don't fix what ain't broke! Want to be
sure or sure-er?, the only way is to take a cheapy or expensive digital volt
meter and check what is the reading, at the battery with the coach plugged
in. The coaches converter is charging. There will be a reading of 12.57
volts or higher. It is when the reading goes 15 VDC that things like LED
bulbs, your LED fridges panel, it's controller, sensitive things like that
become at risk.

Now the Norcold is very forgiving of this, but Dometic had a bunch of
problems, recalls (check their site for a recall on yours...could be a
freebee for ya) and a voided warranty above 15.0 VDC and they know how to
tell. They have worked on voltage controllers and I've not heard of
problems.

Here are a couple of things you can do and still use an old Buzz Box. Never
plug in the trailer with nothing turned on. That means, run a light or
lights, or something else that is 12 volts. That uses the "wild" voltage
from the old Buzz Box and the new so called "smart" floaters that actually
still over voltage. Flip off or unplug the converter and enjoy your coach.
The fridge will operate off the battery for about 2 months with no charge.
The lights will work a day or at least half a day with no charge. Letting
the battery get used by the radio etc without constant charge is actually
good for the battery. Then when you do use and simultaneously charge, the
voltage is under control and not "wild".

Ralph goes and does a lot with his trailer and I think more than most. I
listen to what he says. His is not an RV fridge but his use style is
adjusted. The 3 way fridges are not usually a stocked item, with some wait
involved. I have had 3 way fridges, but the 12 volt ceramic coil sitting
beside the 120 Volt ceramic heater was a barn burner of batteries. Took a
lot of amps to make it hot and it didn't last nearly as long. So I am not
missing that expensive option.

Dometic is a good unit. All the new ones are. Enjoy yours and don't worry.
Check the voltage when you get time and just don't leave it constantly
plugged in when not in use.
-Eddie- Houston, TX