The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] The BEST truck!

If I had to replace my 7.3L today, I would look for another one or a 5.9L
Cummins.  I personally would not touch the new engines for a couple of years
and that is only if they are doing good.  DuraMax has had a few problems,
but I am not a fan of aluminum heads on something as heavy duty as a diesel.
Look at the Vega and it was just a small gasser.  GM also had other aluminum
head problems over the years.

The 454 CID or 7.4L Chevy is a heck of an engine and well proven, but like
all big block engines, you do have to feed them.  We had tow class A's with
the 454 and other than cracked headers, the engines were happy with any
thing you put in the tank...just took lots of it.

Never had a Ford 460 CID, but did have a class C with the 6.8L V-10 and it
did great...just a lot of displacement to feed.

When we went to the 5er, we went diesel, even though we could find cheaper 1
ton duallies with the big block gassers.

I have to agree that the Hemi is a great marketing ploy and it does fine in
the 300C, Charger and pickups without a load on them.  But as with any
gasser it runs out of steam when heavily loaded.

I have run across a few 6.0L Fords that seemed to do OK, but there was way
to many problems in the first two years and continued into 2005.  I know of
3 folks with 2005 PSD 6.0L trucks that first blew up a turbo and later blew
head gaskets in under 30,000 miles.  Not good in my book.

The only thing I have done to my 2002 7.3L is to replace the CPS at 70,000
miles.  It feels like I may have a loose ball joint that I need to get
fixed.  Luckily I have an extended power train and chassis warrant which
covers that.  I do not know why Ford will not install ball joints with Zerk
fitting?...has to be the $0.50 they save.