The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] RE: [Silver Streak] HINGES

They are almost certainly "zamak" zinc-aluminum-magnesium "pot metal,"
commonly used for die castings. New hinges would be great in
stainless, chromed brass or nickel silver (German silver - a brass).
For vertical wear, I found that nylon washers from the hardware store
work well. I selected the outside diameter, then drilled the hole out
to fit the hinge pin.
My lower hinge pin was already coming out, so I was able to grab it
and pull it out. If your pin is still fully in place, you will have to
drill a small hole in the bottom of the hinge and use a pin punch to
drive the hinge pin up enough to grab it and pull it out.
Those who need to replace their hinges should be supportive of your
efforts.
Making new castings from existing originals is quite an art, for the
new castings tend to end up smaller than the original due to shrinkage
of the metals. You might look into lost-wax casting, which is used for
one-off and small production runs and can compensate for shrinkage.
Al