The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] RE: [Silver Streak] HINGES

I am currently trying to locate a foundry that would make up Hinges
for the Silver Streaks.  I have one foundry here in California that
may be able to use my set of "NEW" hinges as a pattern.  I have a new
set of hinges that I plan on using as a pattern, before I install them
on my trailer.

I believe that if enough people are interested in new hinges, we
should be able to find a foundry that will make a small run.  I know
the setup costs for just a few sets of hinges would be prohibitive,
but if enough Silver Streak owners are interested in the hinges, we
may be able to obtain them at some price that would allow most of
those needing the hinges to buy them.

I believe the foundry would require a deposit from those interested
before they would proceed.  If there is any interest, I will follow up
with the foundry once I have some idea how many hinges would be
needed, so the foundry can determine the cost per pair of hinges.

The new hinges I have are the large type used in the 1970's and
1980's.  The hinges look like they are made from Aluminum, they are
very soft and wear rapidly and break easily.  My old hinges currently
on the trailer are badly worn and have one broken segment on each
hinge.  There is no corrosion and they are non-magnetic, so they must
be Aluminum or Zink castings.

Please email me or call with questions, or if you have any ideas as to
where we could find a "reasonable" foundry.

Ralph Cooke

rcooke@bak.rr.com

Telephone:  (661) 325-2893  [24-7 remote to my cell phone]