The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] brake wiring - Pinched wire

Had a similar problem with our tow van. The generator's charging wire
was pinched against its bracket. The insulation finally rubbed through
after 17 years, shorting the generator. Burned the generator out and
blew the fusible link. The new generator didn't help but somehow
didn't burn its diodes out. After fits, finally discovered the shorted
wire. A slight rerouting and thick shrink tubing (the copper wire was
so welded to the steel bracket that I had to cut the wire loose,
slightly shortening the wire when I soldered it beck together) fixed
the problem.
The shorted wire was almost impossible to detect by sight. The wire
looked OK.

Recently I replaced an Argosy's brakes due to one adjuster spring
breaking, dropping the adjuster against the drum. By the time the
adjuster jammed between the brake shoe and the drum, locking the wheel
and blowing the tire, the adjuster was worn half way away. I suspect
that when the trailer was backed it allowed the adjuster to shift and
get stuck.
The owner mentioned that a friend had had to replace adjuster springs
on his AS several times due to breakage.
We know we should replace ancient safety hardware, but tend to let
things go until they fail.

Al