The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Streamline or Silver Streak

Mary,

There are any number of people on this forum that are much more
knowledgeable than I about Silver Streak Trailers, and hopefully they
can offer you some ideas, but for now, here is my 2 cents.

This forum can be a good place to look, the main problem is there may
not much "traffic" on this site for long periods of time.
Occasionally Silver Streak's come up on Ebay, I know of two people who
obtained their Silver Streak's that way over the past few years.
There are web sites that cater to used RV's, you may even try
"autotrader.com", they may have RV's.  Look in the "National Penny
Saver" web sites especially around FL and AZ.  If you do go the ebay
route, pay the bulk of the price in cash when you pick up the trailer,
that way if it is misrepresented, you would only lose the deposit and
travel cost if the deal goes sour.     My recommendation is to AVOID
ANY SITUATION SUCH AS THE HOLLAND WIRE TRANSFER, etc.

Silver Streaks are Great Trailers, good luck in finding your 19 Ft.
I don't remember seeing a SS that was less than 19', but I have
noticed a number of 19' SS trailers over the years.  I was able to
find my 26' Silver Streak locally last year, and plan on keeping it
indefinitely.

I really like the 24'-26' SS trailers, as they are large enough to be
comfortable, yet small enough to be easy to tow, easy to maneuver and
easy to park in camp sites.

I suggest you try to find a SS that has a floor with NO soft spots, as
floor repair can be very difficult(that observation is based on forum
comments here and on other RV forums).  If the Dometic Refrig. is not
working, it's much cheaper to replace it with a small APT. size
Refrig. that fits into the space.  I never had much luck keeping the
Dometic, in my other trailers, operating when we were on the road.  My
26' SS has an apt. size Refrig. And we just put some Dry Ice in the
freezer, and on the bottom shelf, when we start out on a trip, and buy
bagged Ice when on the road.  I use a remote temp. unit to monitor the
internal temp of the Refrig..  Once in a camp ground we use the camp
ground electrical power.  I also have a small electric generator to
power the Refrig, and everything except the AC, when we are camping
with no "hookups".  I would recommend taking a small electric
generator for the Alaska trip regardless of the Refrig.

NOTE:  The pre 1973 trailers did not come with a "grey water" tank
(Shower drain, Sink drain etc.) so a 1974 and up trailer is easier to
use because you don't need to run your "grey water" into a wheeled
cart, then dump it when it's full.  Most of the 19' SS I have seen
were mid to late 60's, I don't know how many 19' SS were produced in
the 70-80's, but my guess is not many.

Many years ago, when our children were small, we did a lot of family
camping and traveling in a 16' Aristocrat Low-Liner(could not afford a
SS).  To this day our grown children still have fond memories of
family "Camping" and "Touring" in our trailer.

Best of luck,

Ralph Cooke