The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] 66 Streamline Duke Holding Tank Removal

   Greetings from Placerville.
   After several days figuring out how the trailer
was assembled I started with the last rivet first,
proceeded from the front to the rear and of course
the potty tank was the last after removal of the
tub enclosure and rear sink. Needless to say you
must identify absolutely every part with a felt
pen and do not destroy anything taking it apart.
That being said, getting down to potty business,
the cast iron toilet flange must be removed by
heating quite hot with a torch to melt the plastic
threads of the tank flange some, then unscrew with
a homemade spanner wrench. Be darn sure the tank is
really flushed out good and vent with a free flow
air hose for 10 minutes to rid it of sewer gas
before working with a flame. You may cut the 3 inch
discharge close to the flange because the tank
probably leaks or soon will, I pulled my hair out
trying to figure out a fix for that problem and
decided to fiberglass over the hole with fiberglass
mat on both sides of the tank wall and then re-cut
the discharge hole to a smaller size to accept a
rubber grommet around a 3 inch pipe. Future problems
may be fixed without tank removal. It may be a good
idea to pressure test the sewer lines, the elbows
and joints are made of grey plastic. That is the
type they recalled because it cracks and leaks.
                    Randy Kelley
                     Placerville