The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] RE: Silver Streak Digest V1 #39

Hi Folks,
I see a lot of chatter about removing the anodized finish from aluminum. I
, personally, think it is a bad idea. The anodization process was developed
to prevent aluminum from deteriorating. If everyone strips this protective
coating from the great trailers we have there will be none left for the
future SSers. They don't make 'em like they used to!!! I think it is great
to find something 35 years old and still in good condition. I have a canoe
about the same age as my '68 SS and built with the same technology with the
anodized aluminum and rivets and she is still a great canoe.  I thought I
would shine her up and make it all shiny and such  ( I used SOS and a lot
of elbow grease) and she shined for a while, but, it came right  back to
the satin finish that it was meant to be after a few months. I think that
what we should be putting our talents to removing the stains that occur on
anodized finishes. My SS has the gold anodized  finish on the trim streak
down the side. It is not in too bad of condition but I can see it has
deteriorated some. Has anybody ever heard of gold chloride for quick
plating metal? I have used it on copper clad circuit boards and it is
instantaneous on copper, I don't know about aluminum. Bye for now... :-)

CUL

	Travis