The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Entry door hinges....

I was able to get the upper hinge pin out and flush the hinge bore out
clean. As the vertical bearing surfaces were worn, letting the door hang
low, I got a couple of nylon washers at Lowe's or Home Depot that were
the same thickness as the worn space in the hinge, and the washers' holes
slipped snugly on the hinge pin as I put it back in. My door now swings
at the right height and the latch and deadbolt line up properly with the
strike holes in the jamb.
The hinge pin in the lower hinge would not come out, but the nylon
washers in the upper hinge carry the vertical load, so it doesn't matter.
If you really need to get a hinge pin out, you will have to drill a small
hole in the bottom of the hinge that will allow a small pin punch to slip
thru to tap the hinge pin up and out.
When you lubricate the hinges use plenty of thin oil (I use a Teflon
bearing oil by "Slick 50") over several days to flush all the old oil,
wear particles and road dust out that is possible.
Al