The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] POLISHING

Hi Ros  I hate to be a naysayer but if it were me I would not even consider
removing the anodizing .  I've owned 3 airstreams as well as the SS we now
own and was a member of the Wally Byam Airsteam club for a number of years.
I have seen SO MANY airstreams where the clear coat was flaking off and the
roofs and sides of the Streams were nearly black with corrosion  and without
the clearcoat  on your de-anodized SS you would be polishing on it
continuously. If you do clear coat after you've shined your trailer I'll bet
a dime to a donut that clearcoat will be flaking off within two years due to
the difference in expansion between the aluminum and the clearcoat.   I will
take my anodized trailer anytime. I'm also pretty sure that Airstream
learned its lesson and is no longer clear coating but is now anodizing.  Is
that right Airstreamers???   Carl