The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] POLISHING

Thanks, Tom.

I would not even consider sanding.  As you mentioned, once sanded, the
scratches must be polished out.

There are all sorts of grades of compound and I would ^^^^ASSUME^^^^ there
is a grade available to remove the oxide put on by the factory.  In looking
at one of the rallys, I saw a fellow with polisher in hand and he had
polished about 1 sq.ft. of a SS where as all the rest of the unit was
undone.  That makes me wonder if it cannot be done sans the sanding.

Also, caustic soda will clean aluminum but is very, very dangerous to work
with as if just a tad splashes into your eyes, you have major problems.  It
will eat skin, too.  However, wearing goggles and gloves could circumvent
all of that.  Nitric acid will also clean it.  Nitric is much, much more
dangerous....extremely so.

Anyway, I would be interested in ALL INPUT AND PICTURES.

Tom, I know this is hard to quantify but just how hard is it to MAINTAIN
your trailer on a yearly basis?  How long does it take you to bring it back
by hand-rubbing?

Thanks for your input.

Ros