Re: [VAL] spiral fluorescent light bulbs

Tom,

Just wanted to relate our experience with spiral compact fluorescent
bulbs in our trailers.  All of the light fixtures in our 1960 Pacer are
120 VAC except for one dual bulb 12 VDC/120 VAC ceiling fixture.  We put
compact fluorescents in the 120 V sockets when we took it on the road in
2003 and have never replaced any of them.  (We installed CF's early on
because we run the 120V circuits from an inverter when boondocking and
minimizing power consumption is important.)  I reckon the single-axle
Pacer bounces and vibrates about as bad as any trailer so I doubt
vibration per se is the problem.  Sorry, I can't tell you the brand of
the CF lamps in the Pacer because it is "there" and we are "here" with
our 1980 Caravelle.  (I think they are Sylvania, bought at Lowes.)

Likewise we have installed a 12 V compact fluorescent in the one 12 VDC
socket in the Pacer, and have two 120 VAC CF's in two lamps in the
Caravelle, and none of them have failed.  (But we only put the 12 V lamp
in the Pacer a couple of years ago and we just got the Caravelle last fall.)

On the other hand I have been using compact fluorescents since they
first came out in high-usage light fixtures at home with varying
results.  They seem to have a fairly high "infant mortality" rate.  Some
  go out after a few months, but the ones that don't fail early seem to
last _forever_.  I write the date of installation on the base and I have
seen them last 7 years in 12-hour-a-day service, which makes them a bargain.

So my advice would be to try again, maybe with different brands, and see
if they do any better.

And thanks so much for all the work you put into maintaining this list
and your sites! I must get awfully tiring at times. . .

See you down the road,

John & Barb Sellers
WBCCI/VAC #1587
1960 Pacer (for sale)