Re: [VAL] Brake wiring question.

> When energizing the yellow brake wire with 12volts and a proper ground,
> should I hear anything coming coming from the wheels?  I am doing this with
> my 1969 Caravel at rest using a 12 power supply and although I get a
> predictably slight spark when clamping on to the yellow wire, I don9t hear
> anything from the wheels.  Or do I need to remove the hubs to observe any
> movement when they are energized?

What are you using for a power supply?

Can you measure the current draw on it? You should see maybe 6 amps
approx for a single axle (pair) of brakes. Double that for a tandem
axle. The exact value isn't that important and can vary some depending
on the individual brake magnets.

A clamp-on ammeter would work for measuring the current, Also make sure
the power supply maintains 12 volts during the test and does not go into
current limiting and reduce the voltage because of an over current
condition (too much load for it's design limits.)

Jack up a wheel and spin it then apply the power to the brakes. The
wheel should stop right away. Then do the other wheel.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060