Re: [VAL]Bargman 99

Warren,
There are a few stories I have heard about this and more than one reseller
interested and clamoring to replenish stock. The prevalent story is that the
original "lost" mold eventually was found in a garage, lenses reproduced,
and then the mold again "lost" along with contact information. That is
apparently the present status. I have heard several cost statements of mold
creation. All are enormous.

Apparently production is no small task either. True or not, I have been told
the DOT reflector requirements make necessary tiny pieces of shiny
reflective material, not visible but molded in to the little diamond shapes
seen and felt on the inside of the lens. So it appears a mold is very
expensive and important, but so too is the actual production process. Then
there are different qualities of plastic for UV stabilization, color, and
strength resistant to breakage. Apparently all lenses are truly not the same
as we have all seen cheapies like markers, reflectors and such sold
everywhere that seem to crumble in a short exposure. Apparently one tiny
excess heat spot on the mold during production can cause a defect in the
final product for an entire production run.

The only thing that seems certain is that the market has underestimated the
continued use of this Bargman 99 lens on a whole litany of trailers that
simply will not "go away". Old Airstreams are here to stay! There are a
whole bunch of SOB folks using the same lens. They are here to stay!
-Eddie-
Houston, TX