Re: [VAL] Parts needed

Hi, Chuck and Lynn,

If the '57 Flying Cloud has the same pressure tank water system and
filler as our 1960 Pacer then it shouldn't be to hard to recreate the
original filler.  If the FC has the same water system it has a
cylindrical water tank which is pressurized with air, either by an
internal pump or externally through a tire valve.  I am emailing this
reply off-list with a couple of pictures of our filler.

In the Pacer the tank is a 15 gallon cylindrical aluminum tank mounted
across the inside front of the trailer.  The filler spout that sticks
out through the front of the shell is just a piece of aluminum pipe
(1 1/2"  if I recall) with ordinary taper pipe threads on both ends.
You won't find aluminum pipe at the local plumbing shop but you can get
it from MSC Industrial Supply http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm among
other places.

The cap is a simple cast aluminum cap with a matching pipe thread and a
rubber gasket on the inside.  I have seen them with and without the hose
valve that we have on ours.  The cap is not a standard pipe cap.  You
might be able to find one at a Vintage Airstream flea market, or it
wouldn't be hard to make one from aluminum plate or bar stock on a lathe.

There is a tire valve tapped into the side of the aluminum pipe to allow
pressurizing the tank with a tire pump, gas station air hose, or whatever.

The remaining item is the cast aluminum trim flange that seals the
opening in the shell.  If you need one of those, email me off-list.  I
know where you can get one.

Of course, none of the above may not apply if the FC has a pump type
water system.

Good luck,

John & Barb Sellers
WBCCI/VAC #1587