Re: [VAL] Re: trailer safety

Please correct me if I'm wrong but.....
From what I understand, when the brake away engages the brakes, they are at
100% stopping power and you have no control of it what so ever until the
battery on the trailer runs down or you get to it to reset the switch.  Once
I tested my brake away I had on my previous trailer while still on the ball
and traveling about 5 mph. The tires locked up completely bring me to a
rather quick stop. I was going slow enough so it won't not cause any
problems. It did shift a bit to the left as it skidded.
I have heard not all will lock up but it is hard to tell which ones will and
which ones won't until you test it either intentionally or not.

If the trailer locks up its tires (assuming you have brakes on all axles)
and you are still connected by the chains, To me it seams the trailer can
and probably will swing around and try to over take the vehicle.

Now this is all theory not actual experience.

To prove this point. Take a model or toy trailer unhitched. (did this once
when I was a kid) Push it down a non carpeted floor and let it travel on its
own inertia for a few feet. First try it with the tongue leading then the
tongue trailing.
You will find that every time you set it with the tongue trailing the
trailer will swing around and try to travel tongue first.  Basically the
part that is dragging the ground will try to go first.
So it just seams to me that if the trailer tires lock up and your still
connected, it very well may swing around and try to go first.   There may be
a lot of variables involved that I am unaware of which could change the
outcome completely.
If my theory holds true, picture that occurring at the worst opportune time.
70 mph going down hill.  Not a pretty sight.
This theory assumes the trailer has brakes on all axles and they all lock up
completely. If you have at least one axle without brakes or at least one
axle that doesn't lock up, this should not occur...I hope.
Since my trailer has only one axle and it has brakes, I figure it is wise to
set the electrical connection from the vehicle with enough slack so if the
comes off the ball but the chains don't brake. I still have control of the
trailer brakes and can use the controller to keep the trailer from ramming
the truck as I slow down. If the chains brake then the electrical comes
apart disengaging my controller and the brake away cable engages the trailer
brakes slowing the trailer down faster than I will. So, either way, The
trailer does not ram the truck and if it does try to over take my truck. I
can get out of its way because I'm no longer connected to it.

This is not something I really want to test on my own.  I wonder if myth
busters can or have performed this test.

Anyone actually had the chance or bad luck to test this theory out?
Inquiring minds want to know. :)

--
Warren
1989 GMC R2500 HD Suburban.