RE: [VAL] Elevator bolts

> Colin,
>
> Writing that "trailers with OSB floors rot out in no time," is unnecessarily
> alarmist. I just want to determine when Airstream used different
> construction techniques and materials.
>
> Obviously, Airstream has used different materials and construction
> techniques for nearly every year of its existence.
>
> In particular though:
>
> 1. When did Airstream first use OSB for the floor, and does Airstream still
> use it?
>
> 2. When did Airstream first use self-tapping wafer head bolts in place of
> elevator bolts, and are they still using them?
>
> 3. When did Airstream stop using Alclad aluminum and what have they used
> since?
>
> Forrest

Forrest,
I don't feel that talking about OSB floors in Airstreams is "alarmist" as
virtually everyone we run into has rotted out in one area or another due to
relatively minor leaks. We had an 02 22' come in here two years ago that
required the back 4' to be replaced. It was a one owner trailer that had
been babied its whole life. We had to remove the wet bath, galley & dinette
along with the lower interior rear wall in order to replace the OSB with
plywood. The culprit was the chessy plastic plumbing vent stack above the
wet bath. This is a real problem! We have done numerous leak tests with our
"SealTech" machine & discovered that these vents virtually all leak. This
was partially due to the poor quality vent, but mostly due to the mismatched
vent gasket sizing.
As far as I know, Airstream started using OSB floors in the early 80' & have
continued right up until today, although I believe the only current model it
is being used on is the Bambi.
The so called "wafer head" bolts also started being used in the early 80's
along with the non Alclad 3004 aluminum & yes, both are still being used.
Clearly there is a huge difference in the construction direction when Thor
took over, however they are after all, 28 years old at this point so you
should expect some "issues". Ever see a 28 year old SOB in decent shape?
Colin Hyde
GSM Vehicles Inc.
Plattsburgh, NY
WBCCI, VAC 1936