Re: [VAL] 1973 Excella fridge help needed

Hi Lynn,

Replacing the fridge is VERY expensive, price them before you start this
process.  The other point to consider is that your fridge, if it is
original, uses no electricity when on gas. New ones need power even on gas.

If it is dripping, then you need to look up under the coils.  There
should be a plastic reservoir there that catches the melt from the
coils.  Even as old as it is, it has auto defrost !!, but you need to
catch the drip. In mine, it is a smoke colored plastic bin that sits up
under there,with a cover that has a drain hole on it.  If yours is
missing, try to find a tupperware that will fit.

My door will not close if I put too large a bottle on the door.  There
are also adjustment screws to square it up, and you can add washers to
raise it.

The door gasket is pretty standard, and not hard to replace, consult a
place that sell fridge parts with a measured drawing or even a piece of
it in hand.

Maybe this all sounds like too much trouble, but new RV fridges cost a
bundle and  are not  standing up too well, Dometic had a major recall
recently. Personally, I would spend a lot of time and effort to keep my
1973 fridge, even though it is a little sad inside.

Daisy
'73 ambassador 29' center bath, original fridge and AC.