[VAL] 80s-era Airstream plumbing?

Hi, all,

Can anybody tell me what kind of plumbing materials were used in 1980
Airstreams?  Our Caravelle sprung a major leak yesterday and had to be
fixed.  The plumbing appears to be run in half inch black polyethylene
tubing similar to the stuff commonly used underground, only smaller
diameter.  The factory fittings are metal, with metal crimp sleeves over
the outside of the plastic tubing.

The plumbing failure occurred at a barbed plastic tee secured with hose
clamps, which which somebody had tapped into a cold water line.  Two
legs of the tee were secured with double hose clamps but one leg only
had one hose clamp.  The plastic tubing had come off that leg of the
tee.  For the time being I just put it back on and retightened the
clamp, solving the immediate problem.  At the very least I guess I ought
to add a second hose clamp.

Is this 1980 plastic tubing early PEX, and do you suppose I can use PEX
fittings like Sharkbite with it?

Thanks,
John & Barb Sellers
WBCCI/VAC #1587