Re: [VAL] Gutting (was Re: VAL Digest V3 #706)

> > One suggestion I would like to make to new owners
> of Vintage Airstreams
> > is make the repairs necessary to get it back on
> the road, them use it
> > for a year or two before you decide to do any
> major projects.

I can relate to that. Once you do that, you will find
that there is plenty to do just to keep it roadworthy
without putting it out of commission for any longer
period of time than necessary. I agree that getting
the previous owners "DNA" out of it is one of the
reasons to have an Airstream. Otherwise we would still
be staying in, yuck, motels. So we started with new
carpet and vinyl flooring, then new axles made their
need known, new electric tongue jack, new stabilizers
and lots of plumbing.(just finished complete
replumbing, waiting for some non-freezing weather to
water pressure test it) and a new Thetford toilet. BTW
anyone want an old Thetford from a '69 sovereign? For
just the cost of shipping? The ceramic bowl is good,
the flusher stuff leaks, and the plastic or whatever
base has a crack in it. But for parts, someone may
want it. Lemme know. I already found a new home for
some parts that I have removed and plan to continue to
do so. I know some purists may cringe at the thought
of removing the front gaucho and replacing it with a
double recliner, or removing the vanity and adding a
second twin bed, but the purpose of the machine is to
go down the road and provide a safe and comfortable
home-away-from-home for me and my family. I think that
was the way it was designed and following that
tradition is what Airstreaming is about, for me. If I
had the money I would buy a brand new one, or pay
someone else to do the work, a checkbook restoration,
but I truly admire the hardy souls that are able to do
the work themselves, for a full restoration. I think
there is room for us all under the big silver tent. At
least I hope so. Now those really rare examples are
like works of art. Restore 'em or leave it to someone
who can. Just my opinion That's gotta be more than 2
cents worth. :-)Your mileage may vary.
cheers, bill b.

1969 Sovereign 31'