[VAL] naughty pilot light

Hi folks,

an update on the hotwater heater pilot light issue.

First of all, there is no pilot adjustment on this heater, it even says
so right on the control box.  So that lets that part out.

Since the pilot stays lit unless the wind blows, I'm thinking the
thermocouple is OK, although I think I will try to bend it into a more
intimate position relative to the flame.

A kind soul sent me this privately and with his permission, I'll share:

When I got my 78 AS I had the same problem. The sides of an AS are
curved. The frame of the water heater is not. When my heater was
replaced the screws were over tightened pulling the heater frame
tight agaisnt the curved sides of the trailor. This distorted the
heater frame causing a large gap between the heater frame and heater
door. This allowed wind to easily blow the pilot out and it didn't
take much of a breeze. The cure was simple enough. I shut the propane
tanks off and removed all the screws from the heater. I did not
disconnect the water lines or the gas lines. I took a sharpe thin
paring knife, the kind that you get from Wal Mart for 99 cents. I cut
thru the sealer and pulled the heater away from the trailor body.
About a half inch. Then using whatever tools that work, cut and
scrape ALL the old sealer out. Now straighten the heater frame. It
wasn't to hard. I think I was able to do it with my hands. Most of
the distortion was on the top and bottom due to the curve of the
sides. Put the door back on and notice that it fits well enough to
keep winnd out. Take the door back off for the time being. Easier to
work eith it out of the way. Push the heater back in and you will
notice that it will contact the trailer body on the sides bur have a
gap top and bottom. As I recall the gap was about a 1/4". I used paint
stir sticks as shims. Cut them to lentgh and width. I used silicone
for a sealer. Coat both sides of the sticks and put them between the
heater frame and the trailor. I used silicone as a sealer. You will
have to drill holes thru the shims to allow the crews to thread into
the trailor sides. Put the door back on and make certain it fitts
well enough to keep wind out. Mine was more distoted on the bottom
than the top. Don't over tighten the screws. Recheck them a day later
after the sealer has cured. It doesn't take much to hold the heater

I had put my old silver painted cover on and after replacing it with the
new one, I think it is a better fit around the edges which I hope will
solve the problem for anything besides the Santa Anas.

Thanks to all !!!

Daisy
in. Good luck....Arnie