[VAL] RE: VAL Digest V3 #651-Propane Tank testing

When we took our 40# aluminum tanks (from our 1969) into a large propane
distributor in our area for the OPD valves, they grabbed them and said
they'd be out with replacement tanks!  Martin said, "Oh, NO, I said I just
need them fitted with the new valves!" There may be those who just want to
get their hands on those nice aluminum tanks. As a famous U.S. president
once stated, "Trust, but verify".

Martin & Rachel Hughey

I've been told that steel propane tanks have a lifespan of about 10-12 years
and cannot be refilled past that date even with the new OPD valve.  I can't
find any information about aluminum tanks.  Can anyone offer any guidance or
information concerning their safe usuable lifespan?
TIA.
Pete