Re: [VAL] 67 Caravel

Dan,

Here is my input, for what its worth...

1) Notch the belly pan. You (or the next owner) may need to access the belly
later on. If you don't notch it then you will probably have to cut it to
open it up...ugly.

4) Except for near the wheels, you do not want to make the belly pan water
tight. No matter what you do, moisture will get in there. What you want is
for that moisture to get back out. That requires air circulation. As far as
I am aware no one has come up with with a better insulation for this
application than fiberglass tho I did hear about someone who was thinking of
using foam board, but I seem to remember that it did not work out. Whatever
you do, you do not want to fill the area with insulation (due to moisture).
Like the original installation you want the filberglass to be held up
against the underneath of the wood floor. It has been my experience that
water dripping out from the belly pan is not from water splashing up, but
from plumbing leaks and seams or rivits up above that need some caulk.

Scott
1960 Overlander