Re: [VAL] Re: Bent door...79 International

Alan,

There must be a rash of this going on. Yesterday the door on my '60
Overlander flew open at 65mph. It was hanging on by one of the 2 hinges, and
that one is in pretty poor shape. I just returned from taking it to my
"local" vintage friendly Airstream dealer. The tech said that he had not
seen one in such bad shape. Normally he would just bend it back into shape.
However the door frame stretched too far. He is suprised that it did not
break, and said that the repair would be easier if it had. About a 2 foot
section of the normally curved frame is flat. His solution is to take it
apart, cut, weld back into shape and reassemble with a new outer skin.
Yikes!

Why Airstream persists with suicide doors I have no idea. It does not have
to be that way.

As for your seal, I have found that JC Whitney had what I needed.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander