RE:[VAL] moving the springs over the axles

The extra height is worth it.  I just replaced the old drop axle with a
straight axle on the Flying Cloud and gained 2.5".  The older trailer
heights were designed for the lower cars of the '50's, rather than the
tow vehicles of today:
http://vintageairstream.com/floyd/restoration/axle/axle.html

Best of luck!
RJ