[VAL] RE: Tires

This is a little late, but thought some may be interested.

I ran Carlisle tires on my 1972 International Overlander 27' when I first
put it on the road.  On the way to Springfield, MO, the tread on one of the
tires separated and did minor damage to the wheel well.  The tires were
properly inflated and the factory representative gave me plenty of run
around as to why they could not replace the tire (the tire had about 500
road miles and no wear).  Needless to say, I do not have any good
recommendations for these tires.

I replaced all four tires with Sumitomo SL717 commercial light truck tires
(700R X 15, Load Range D).  See specifications at:
http://www.sumitomotire.com/theline/product.asp?c=lt&id=20 and click on
"Sizing Chart".  I have had no bad experiences with these tires and have
towed across the country and back with no problems.  The tires have
approximately 8,000 miles on them and so far have shown no wear or defects.

Bob Clark
WBCCI/VAC 4230
1972 27' International Overlander
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 4 X 4 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Greensboro, NC