[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V3 #465

> I plan to replace some of the walls in my '77 and am looking for 1/8"
> unfinished cherry plywood to replace the wood currently in the trailer.  I
> cannot find a local supplier here in the Tampa area.  Does anyone know of a
> supplier that is in Florida?  I've tried a web search, but all of the places
> I've found are in NC or further north.  The cost to ship a 4X8 sheet is
> prohibitive and a 2X8 sheet is not wide enough.  Veneer won't work as it
> makes the panel too wide to fit the metal channel on the wall.  Any help
> would be appreciated.
> Pete

Howdy Pete
I have been searching the the world over for years trying to find supplier
of everything that never existed to use in trailers. One of them being 1/8
plywood paneling in something other than Birch. The bottom line is, "it
doesn't exist" but that has never stopped me from creating what I do with
the materials I want to use! If you truly want it, just make!

Several options for you are
1. The easiest and strongest way would be to buy a sheet of 1/4" cherry, cut
it to size and then simply scarf or bevel sand the edge to fit into the
aluminum channel.

2. Same as above but run a rabbit bit alone the edge with a router removing
an area that might be 1/16" deep by 1/4" wide or however much you need to
make it fall into the molding.

3. This method will require a bit more skill but you can lay up your veneer
on either side of the 1/8" panel but when applying glue to panel, tape off
the edge so that the glue falls short by 1/4" or so. Come back with a scribe
and a knife and trim off that 1/4" of veneer so that the panel will fit into
the aluminum trim.

If there's a will, there's a way!

Hope this helps

Craig Dorsey
Vintage Vacations, Restorers of classic trailers
714-812-6053
<http://www.vintage-vacations.com>

                    Enjoy life. Take a Vintage Vacation