Re: [VAL] Door lock comment 68 Tradewind

Speaking of door locks, I will add my experience. 8 years ago the Bargman 77
door handle was broke for the second time by someone trying to break into my
'60 Overlander. There just was not enough left of her to repair, and though
I had looked for a replacement 77 for two years prior, I had come up empty.
I had a Bargman 100 installed courtesy of Steve Ruth. It required aluminum
patches in the skin, but did look good. Unfortunately the modern Bargmans
are of very poor quality when compared to the old. They may be cheeper to
manufacture in China, but they are also made CHEEPLY. After going through 3
Bargman 100/200 door locks I was able to obtain a Chessler lock from a
parted out trailer (68 I think). Of course it had the long yoke/bolt in it
and was not interchangeable with my short one, so I had to cut it down to
fit. I am confident that I will get another 5 to 10 years out of this nearly
40 year old door handle. I was only able to baby the modern Bargmans for 2
to 2.5 years before they got bad enough for me to question their
reliability.

So in short, yes you can use the Bargman 100 or 200. Some trailers require
the long yoke/bolt, but look to replace them on a regular basis.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander