RE: [VAL] F150 tow unit questions ( help )

Jerry,
First, the thinner oils are essential in all modern engines. Older engines
were not as closely machined and the thinner 5W15 etc are needed for instant
circulation on start and throughout the run. The thicker oils or straight
weights will destroy a modern engine. Good quality oil filters such as
Baldwin, Ford, GM, etc are a must. Baldwin is the absolute best if you can
find it. No crap junk such as purolator, valvoline, fram, etc. Oil must be
changed as close to every 3K miles as possible, no matter what the mfr
states. Do all this if you want your engine to last. If you doubt me, spend
the money, go buy every available filter for your vehicle, cut the top off
of each, and see for yourself the quality, size, and by-pass in each filter.
I did. Then go on the internet and check the micron and capacity specs of
each. Only some Fram filters are excellent. Some are not within Fram.

For your problem, buy a Ford Filter and Ford oil at Walmart of the Ford oil
stated in your book for your engine. Since you are out of time, present the
vehicle with it's genuine Ford filter and oil for your demanded repair of
your real problem. Either get it fixed or refused in writing. A new engine
is the only real fix so get an attorney now and have the attorney pursue a
new engine replacement for you. It is a real possibility that letters from
the attorney with your complaint history will get you a new engine at costs
that are not too high for you. You can call any Ford parts dept and get the
new engine cost, and the service dept will give you the complete labor fee
quotes. You will be looking at the better part of $4K. It will have a 12
month, 12 K mile warranty.

Because you did not have Ford service the vehicle with a dealer history of
that, or your own history of exact Ford filters and recommended oil, Ford
will balk on you, but a good attorney will prevail for you and again it
should be cost effective. If you wind up in court, a good attorney will
recoup his fees along with the award seeking all costs related to a new
engine replacement. Just pursue this!

Forget the valve guide thing. Yes, probable cold-start smoke prognosis, but
as goes the guides goes the rest of the engine. Guides are not serviceable
in this engine like in the old ones. There are other head problems that come
into play and new stretch head-bolts, special Ford head gaskets and so on.
It will be very expensive. The key to the long life of this engine is the 3K
oil changes, Baldwin or Ford Filters, Ford oil and Filters cheap at Walmart,
and the exact proper thin multigrade oil for this engine.

If you want to see horrible oil consumption, dirty oil, and smoke, use
synthetic oils in a diesel. I would not and will not use synthetic oils in
even a junk engine. Synthetics are expensive so people tend to extend the
interval of oil changes excusing away the interval by "Magic" properties of
synthetics, etc when it is simply very expensive oil. Some people will swear
by Synthetics and tell you fabulous tails of how great, long lasting,
mileage etc. I am ASE Certified. Some think I am a certified nut too. None
of that will buy a cup of coffee. Lot's of luck.

-Eddie-   Houston, Texas